Fresh is best. Try to purchase a freshly cut tree, as they are more resistant to ignition, and secure it in a sturdy stand. Water it daily to keep it in good condition. If purchasing an artificial tree, make sure it is fire resistant. Position the tree away from fireplaces, radiators and portable heaters in your home.
Take care with candles. Keep candles away from decorations and other combustible materials, and do not use candles to decorate Christmas trees.
Keep poinsettias out of reach. Poinsettia plants are poisonous to humans and animals, so keep them out of reach, or avoid having them in your home if you have young children or pets.
Watch over the stove. When cooking for holiday visitors, keep an eye over your stove—unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the United States.
Keep gifts out of sight. Help keep thieves away by making sure your holidays gifts are not visible through nearby doors or windows.
Take precautions with holiday lighting. Before putting lights up, make sure all of the bulbs work and that there are no frayed wires, broken sockets or loose connections. Before using lights outdoors, check labels to be sure they have been certified for outdoor use. Keep all lighting out of reach of young children and pets. Lastly, be sure to turn off the lights when you leave the house or are
going to bed.
Be mindful of your pets. Popular holiday food items like chocolate, onions and raisins can be fatal to dogs, so keep them out of reach to prevent accidents.
Watch what you put in the fireplace. Putting holiday gift wrap in the fireplace is a hazard so avoid doing it altogether.